Friday, November 18, 2011

CECS 5300- Research Activity #6 (Week 12 - 13)

Task:    Try to have a conversation with someone in which you try to get them to do something (i.e. eat a packet of catsup, shave a cat, etc.) that is kind of or really odd in two different scenarios. In the first, you develop a strong argument with 4 or more reasons why they should decide to do what you want. In a second situation, provide only one reason and make it pretty weak (i.e. Give me an A in class even though I have done no work this semester. My cat has been trying to explode my head using its mind.) Tell what happens.





For this research activity, I have selected my wife as a victim to talk with. I was trying to design good scenarios with four strong arguments that would make my stubborn wife pay attention to me and do what I ask. In fact, this week I have flu, and I am taking pain relief medicine to reduce the symptoms. The first scenario, I asked my wife to take a pill from my medication. I told her that she has been sneezing a lot lately, and this was my first argument to use. She looked at me and said “I am fine, don’t worry.” In my second attempt, I asked her to look at the mirror and see her eyes. I told her that they are irritated and red; here I told her that she must take the pill. At this moment, she asked if I have a problem because she was wondering about my concern. Again, she said “don’t worry.” With my third argument, I could grab some of her attention; I brought the thermometer and I asked her to let me measure her temperature. She replied “come on, I think this flu damaged your brain,” I was trying not to laugh and control myself as much as possible; I replied “honey let me check your temperature, this is serious, your face is red.” Here she went to the mirror and I followed her, I was a big lair, and I think this was one of the requirements in order to complete this research activity. She said “OK, what is your medication, let me read the box,” she decided not to take it. I said to myself “what’s wrong, these arguments are crab”. Finally, I reminded her about her exam, and I said “you have to take it you cannot do a good job if you are tired and have flu,” she replied “Ali, I don’t have flu” and here I turned her mind upside down, I said to her with a quiet sound “probably the virus has been moved from my body into your body, and I think it is going to be stronger tomorrow” then I added “you look sick but it is up to you.” She said “ok, I will take only one tablet today.”


My finding is that when I used some scientific facts, she trusted me and decided to take the tablet. Therefore, I think in any conversation the trust and the level of knowledge play a big role in decision making. My wife decided to take the tablet when I had showed her some reasonable evidences.  


The second scenario was to ask my wife to do something silly, and try to convince her. I asked my wife to cook our thanksgiving turkey before the thanksgiving week and eat it. She asked me “so, what are we going to do in the thanksgiving week,” and here I was so silly and said “we will have a picture of our delicious turkey and hang it on the wall.” Finally, she asked me about the doctor who wrote the medication for me, she thought that these pills make me stupid. I could not convince her since there was not any reasonable matter that build the trust and lead my wife do what I asked. This research activity was so funny. At the end I told her about everything, she laughed and told me that she will not trust me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment