Friday, December 2, 2011

CECS 5300- Research Activity #7 (Week 14 - 15)


Task:            Spend 30 minutes doing something for yourself. [It is nearing the end of the semester and I'm sure you're exhausted.] Write how you feel about this experience.


This is one of my interesting research activities in this class. You may ask why this activity is my loved one, and the simple answer is because I have shared my son to complete it with me. As you all know that children are smarts, and we obviously learn from them as much as they learn from us. The key factor is how we understand them to establish an effective communication. In this activity, I was trying to find out a way that I can understand my son’s behavior and guide his behavior to satisfy our shared goal. Also, I selected a very busy environment with many distractions to see how these factors influence the communication between us.

Let me give some information about the study. My 4 year old son was the only participant in this study. He likes toys more than anything else. I selected Wal-Mart Supermarket as a research site, and the black Friday as a busy time. My experiment was designed with two major tasks. The first task was to ask my son selecting a big LCD TV for me, and the second task was to buy a toy for him as a reward. I assigned the first task to my son, and the second one was assigned to both of us. He was not sure about it. I told him many times that he should select a big and nice TV for me if he wants me to buy a nice toy for him. While I was driving, he was asking me a lot about his toy. He was asking specific questions like “how big”, “what color”, and “what can I buy”, etc. I told him that we have to buy the TV first, and then we can buy the toy. I was trying to remind him from time to time about the task, but he ignored everything. He was very excited about the idea. However, he didn’t ask me anything about the TV. When we reached the Wal-Mart, I stopped him at the entrance and reminded him about the task, he replied “Ok Daddy lets go”


We entered Wal-Mart, and he opened his eyes widely to see many people and kids with toys in everywhere. He went to the toys and started looking for a toy. I stopped him again, and I said you have to select the TV first. I enforced him walking with me to the electronic section. He was crying and nagging. I told him select the TV first. Here when I enforced him to select the TV, he started asking me about the size and color. I told him a big black TV. He selected a 46” TV, and I told him that wasn’t a good choice. I asked him to find another one, and here he started crying. He was very distracted, and failed to do the task.

I realized that he could not do it. I decided to change the plan. I told him if you buy the toy first, can you select the TV for me. He replied yes, we bought the toy and returned to the electronic section. I asked the same question, but he was busy with his toy. I took the toy from him because he didn’t listen to me, and I told him that he should select the TV. He started crying loudly. I asked him to select the TV if he wants his toy back, but he was not able to control himself because there were many other children with toys around him. At the end, I gave him his toy and selected the TV by myself.

From this research, I have learned a lot from my son. I have learned that children in this age cannot control their behavior especially when they are excited or distracted by environmental events. My son was very excited and like a deaf person. He could not listen to me and follow my instructions. I was trying to grab his attention but he was very concerned about toys and only toys. He was distracted with the crowed and the huge number of toys around him. He could not concentrate to perform the assigned task. After changing the plan and asking him to select his toy, I realized that my son followed my order and performed the task successfully. I believe that he did a good job because the task was changed to satisfy his need. However, he failed to select the TV for me even after he got his toy, and I think because he was not very interested in performing this task. After all, I hypothesize that the level of excitement and interests play a big role in establishing a successful communication with children and adolescents. This preliminary study shows some factors that influence children communication, and it gives some hints about children behavior in a busy and very distracted environment.

2 comments:

  1. Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by William Fleming - Friday, 2 December 2011, 10:50 AM

    Great story...and great observations!

    -----------------------
    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by ALI ALBAR - Friday, 2 December 2011, 01:11 PM
    Thanks Bill, and I really discovered new things about my son from this experiment. I wish if anybody could repeat the experiment and share the findings with me. I'm not saying to buy a new TV, you can buy anything

    -----------------------

    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by Lorri Hill - Saturday, 3 December 2011, 11:23 AM

    Ali,
    You learned an interesting lesson. Children at that age are still very much into self-gratification. He was distracted by all of the stimuli. I have been to Wal-mart on Black Friday and it is very distracting even for an adult. It is like a battle zone. The picture that you posted is very familiar as I have braved the Black Friday crowds many times when my kids were younger to get great deals on toys. This year I did all of my shopping online...it was the best Black Friday ever!

    -----------------------

    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by ALI ALBAR - Saturday, 3 December 2011, 01:49 PM

    Hello Lorri,

    I agree online shopping is much better. However, on-site shopping maybe interesting to those who like fighting in crazy Black Fridays where all rules of well-mannered shopping disappear

    -----------------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by Lorri Hill - Saturday, 3 December 2011, 05:23 PM
    You are not kidding. We use to have a strategy. My youngest daughter would get a cart and position herself somewhere, while me and my oldest would go pick up items and bring them back to her. One year we were at Wal-mart and this lady rammed her cart into my daughter who was 10 at the time and knocked her to the ground. She never said she was sorry or anything, she just pushed past her as my daughter sat on the ground crying. I was not standing there at the time which was probably good, or it may have gotten very ugly for everyone.

    I never go to Wal-mart early on Black Friday morning anymore because most of the people there are crazy and on a mission. Walmart is also guilty of having a very limited amount of door buster merchandise which makes the items highly coveted. I read this year that a lady in Los Angeles California ,pepper sprayed several shoppers to get through the door first. Another reason I stay away from Wal-mart early Black Friday.

    -----------------------

    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by Michele Houston - Sunday, 4 December 2011, 09:15 AM
    That's horrible, Lorri. I am relieved to say that I have never once taken part in Black Friday or any other Christmas shopping during crazy rush times. For me, interacting with rude and mean people wouldnt' be worth any deal.


    And now, I'm going to make a pitch... It'd sure be super if ya'll could try to do some of your holiday shopping at small, local mom & pop shops, or from local artists and/or artisans. And please try to buy at least one item Made in the USA. People all around us need jobs.


    I'm on a mission to purchase made in the USA items whenever possible. That takes out electronics, but it is surprisingly easy for other items. I started this due to ABC news' "Made in America" series this summer.


    M
    -----------------------

    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by ALI ALBAR - Sunday, 4 December 2011, 12:24 PM
    Lorri, I'm sorry for what happened to you and your daughter. Really, it is scary to meet those crazy shoppers at Wal-Mart or at any other places in Black Fridays. I will not put my family and kids in danger next time. I was in a very small city in Indianan and live with few peace people, and it was not big like Denton. Anyway, online Black Fridays next time.

    Michele, China products are in everywhere. In 2006, when I came to the US, I went to Best-Buy and I was trying to buy one of IBM laptops. I found most of products were assembled or made in China, and I asked them "these are American brands, and China make them for you" When I was in my home country, I was thinking that most of things come from China because I'm from Asia. Now, I realized that the world is made in China. I think this is one of the worst outcomes of outsourcing.

    I wish if I can see more American products that are originally made in the US rather than few cars. Also, cars' accessories are made in China or Mexico. OMG !!!

    -----------------------

    Re: My Experiment in Black Friday
    by Demetria Ennis-Cole - Monday, 12 December 2011, 10:33 AM

    Perhaps some prerequisite information in the form of pictures may have helped. A four year old's idea of a big TV can be very different from ours. Interest, motivation, prerequisite skill, reward structure, reason for learning, and ability to attend to the task at hand all influence any learner.

    ReplyDelete