Sunday, September 11, 2011

CECS 5300- Research Activity-1 (The Art of the Brain)

I selected the third activity for my first research activity. I am not a good artist to draw sophisticated images like a human brain; however, I drew a big brain that is not perfect like the original one. I selected this activity to examine my brain, and to understand how I can remember what I see.

First of all, figure 2.6 (Four Lobes of the Brain) is in page 57. This figure describes the left lateral view and the top view of a human brain. I have stared at the entire figure for five minutes and focused on the major parts and their labels. Moreover, during my observation I was trying to draw a picture in my mind, so I can easily remember it. After five minutes of staring I took three minutes break. I used a white paper and a pencil for my drawing, and I avoid using the computer to concentrate on my drawing. I spent around 20 minutes to complete my drawing. I drew it with few details to avoid mistakes. I modified my drawing many times to have a good and a nice image with right labels. After all, I compared my drawing with the original one, and I found that I made some mistakes and forgot some parts; I believe it is a normal thing since it was my first time to draw a human brain.

According to table 2.1 in page 49, the forebrain region is the part that responsible for learning and memorizing; the hippocampus, which is located in the forebrain, part which influences memory and learning in general. Moreover, in page 56 and 57, the author describes the four lobes of the human brain. These lobes are Frontal, Parietal, Occipital, and Temporal. Specifically, the author found that the temporal lobe helps in remembering visual objects, and very importantly, in matching new visual objects that you see with those which retained in your visual memory. Gazzaniga, Ivry, and Mangun (2002, as cited in Robert J. Sternberg and Karin Sternberg, Cognitive Psychology, 2010, p. 57) found that the occipital lobe is associated with visual processing, such as analyzing color, motion, and location. In my opinion, I have used my temporal and occipital lobes in order to complete this activity, and I came up with a joker’s brain.
Figure 2.6

My result



No comments:

Post a Comment